Restrictions and prohibitions
While domestic refuse is collected by private firms contracted by the City’s Public Works Department, certain rules apply.
Domestic refuse must be set out by the curb on collection day.
- The refuse must be deposited in either:
- a metal or plastic container, which is closed, waterproof, equipped with handles and a cover, and has a maximum capacity of 0.1232 m3 (4.4 cubic feet); or
- in a tied, non-perforated plastic bag of a maximum size of 66.04 cm x 91.44 cm (26 in. x 36 in.), from which no refuse can escape, or in closed boxes weighing no more than 22.7 kg (50 lb).
- As a public safety measure, it is prohibited to set out any household appliance or container with a locking device. The device must be removed before being placed curbside.
Anyone violating these provisions (or permitting someone else to do so) is committing an offence and is liable to a fine.
Accepted bulk waste
- Pool covers
- Hot water tanks
Bulk waste accepted with restrictions
- Household appliances without doors or locks
- Pieces of wood or metal no more than 1.2 m in length (4 ft.) tied in bunches
Electronic and computer equipment (televisions, radios, video consoles, micro-waves, computers, screens, printers, etc.).
Excess volume rolling bins
Trucks are not equipped to empty rolling bins of more than 125 litres. However, if the bins contain bags that are tied, garbage collectors will empty them manually.
- City-wide, collection is between 7 a.m. and 4 p.m.
- Garbage must be set out by the curb between 7 p.m. the evening before collection day and 7 a.m. on collection day.
- For single family dwellings, collection is on Tuesday. For apartment buildings, condominiums, schools and daycares, pickup is twice a week, on Mondays and Thursdays.
- In school and daycare neighbourhoods, the collection company must pick up outside of the children’s regular arrival and departure times.
- If a regular collection day falls on Christmas or New Year’s Day, pickup will be rescheduled and residents will be notified.
- During busy periods of the year, i.e. May 1 to June 15 and October 15 to November 15, or during a snowstorm with more than 15 cm of accumulation, a two-hour grace period is granted to the collection company.
General information: 514-684-1010
Suggestion or complaint: 514-684-1034
These guidelines are for information only and hold no legal value. The official text written in the bylaw takes precedence.